The 143rd Kentucky Derby is May 6th at Churchill Downs in Kentucky and a 70% chance of rain is in the forecast. Finding a good mudder in this group of 20 is nearly impossible. We thank Mike Battaglia, the odds maker at Churchill Downs, for giving us a morning line favorite at 4-1, Classic Empire, but come race day his odds will plummet from that enticing 4-1.
Mudders with potential:
T.L. Zietak 5 weight cane Quadrate Taper Fly Rod bambooClassic Empire (4-1): Broke his maiden on a wet surface at Churchill Downs in 2016. Veteran rider Julien Leparoux has been aboard for all of Classic Empire’s starts.
Tapwrit (20-1): Also broke his maiden over a wet surface. My concern with Tapwrit is that his head is not in the game. He’s worth at look in a superfecta at this price and on Derby Day.
Daiwa Morethan, 2 tlg, Baitcast Spinnrute mit X45-KohlefaserkonstruktionDaiwa ZILLION TW HLC 1514SHL Baitcasting Reel New Fishing Japan NewGormley (15-1): Also has a win on a wet surface in California, but a wet surface in Southern California is very different than a wet surface in Kentucky. The only advantage for Gormley is his veteran jockey, Victor Espinoza. Gormley races well in California but the ship to Kentucky is a mystery.
Battle of Midway (30-1): Another California shipper who broke his maiden on a wet Santa Anita surface. Finished second behind Gormley in the Santa Anita Derby, has always been in the money in all of his four races. In a very scattered Derby, this horse deserves a look, especially at this price.
The Real Deals:
Classic Empire has been on my radar (and everyone else’s) DAIWA EMERALDAS AGS OUTGUIDE MODEL 511ML-SMT BOAT Spinning Rod New since he won the Breeders’ Cup Juvenile. He’s kind of a sassy horse. He’s been known to train when he feels like it, but certainly shows up for the race. With his veteran jockey, consistent money finishes on his resume, and can run on a wet surface, Classic Empire lands on the top of my list. Besides all that, he’s American Pharaoh’s little brother. So the pedigree is perfect.
Avet EXW 50 2 Two-Speed Lever Drag Big Game Reels blueeDaiwa 18 EXIST FC LT-2000S-H Spinning Reel from Japan
McCracken (5-1): McCracken finished third in his last race behind Practical Joke and Irap in the Bluegrass, but again, he didn’t need to win because he was already in with his win in the Sam F. Davis Stakes. Until the Bluegrass, McCracken was undefeated, and veteran jockey Brian Hernandez, Jr. has been with him from the first race.Daiwa Spinnrute Morethan Branzino AGS
Filling out the Superfecta:
Always Dreaming (5-1): Three wins in a row for Always Dreaming since veteran jock Johnny Velazquez took over, but only one graded stakes win, the Florida Derby, which he needed to get to Churchill Downs. A veteran rider, but little graded stakes experience and no races on a wet track. However, he’s been training well at Churchill and has put in some impressive bullet works since he arrived.
Daiwa 18 EXIST LT-3000S-CXH Spinning Reel NEW NEW Shimano FIRE BLOOD Gure DIVEMASTER 1.5-530 Telescopic ISO Rod for OpaleyeDAIWA 15 SALTIGA 3500H - Free Shipping from Japan
Thunder Snow (20-1):Vintage Nebco National Expert Fischköder Zähler Anzeige 72 Köder This is the European entry. Entering the gates as a multiple graded stakes winner in Europe with extremely impressing speed figures, but has no American racing experience and has ran most of his races at sprint distances. The check mark on this horse goes to the connections and that the fields in Europe are bigger than they are here. The UAE Derby, which Thunder Snow won, had 15 entries. He will not be shy of the 20 in the gate.
State of Honor (30-1): I wanted to make this horse my superfecta filler, but he has one knock: His jockey, Jose Lezcano. Julien Leparoux has been on State of Honor for his last four races, which were stakes races, and in which State of Honor finished on the board all four times. But, Leparoux is also the jockey for Classic Empire. (What a choice?) This Mark Casse trainee gets a definite look and will be taking superfecta money come post time.
Practical Joke (20-1) was doing fine until he got into races with the other Derby contenders then he couldn’t seem to get around Gunnevera, Classic Empire or Irap. He has no wet surface races, doesn’t like the distance or the crowds.
- DEXTER WOMENS PURPLE WHITE GREY BOWLING SHOES SIZE 7.5
- Okuma Angelrolle - Epixor LS EPL-55 FD
- Open Mouth Green Yellow FISH Ice Fishing Decoy G1
- Cormoran Pro Carp Gun Pod Rod Pod Rutenständer 360° drehbar Rutenhalter 3 Ruten
- New 14 High Horse Runaway Barrel Saddle By Circle Y Saddlery 6223-M401-05
- Horsecode Trense dark Rubin Vollbluet cob bordeaux red black strass
- Kerrits Fleece Flow Rise Performance Tight-Bronze Herringbone-S
- Brand new cavalleria Toscana men's silk tie with logo detail
- CASCO SP-3 Airwolf black Skihelm Größe 56-58 cm M SP3 Airwolf 19.07.2512.M
- Skiing Helmet Outdoor Sports Ultralight 6 colors Ce Abs Certification 55 61 Cm
- Remember Hoots Wheels Longboard Rollen 70mm 74a 76a 78a 80a
- Airsoft Web 2pcs 30rd Magazine For WELL MB4404 MB4405 MB4410 MB4411 Sniper Rifle
- TACTICAL HUNTING,FISHING TECL-WOOD STEALTH CAMOUFLAGE WATERPROOF TROUSERS,302,ek
- Adidas Mens Ultra Boost ST Running shoes Trainers Sneakers Grey Sports
- Used Daiwa 17 Gekkabijin AIR 2002H 5.6 1 PE0.3-100m spinning reel from Japan 271
- Daiwa LIBERTY CLUB KOTSUGI ISO 3-300 fishing spinning rod New From japan
- JENZI Fishing Roll with 8 Ball Bearings NexXos SR
- Power Pro Depth Hunter 40 lb 500 yards, 1500 ft, New
- U-B-18 18 Western Horse Saddle American Leather Treeless Trail Pleasure Hilason