The 143rd Kentucky Derby is May 6th at Churchill Downs in Kentucky and a 70% chance of rain is in the forecast. Finding a good mudder in this group of 20 is nearly impossible. We thank Mike Battaglia, the odds maker at Churchill Downs, for giving us a morning line favorite at 4-1, Classic Empire, but come race day his odds will plummet from that enticing 4-1.
Mudders with potential:
NASH INDULGENCE CHAIRS FREE POSTClassic Empire (4-1): Broke his maiden on a wet surface at Churchill Downs in 2016. Veteran rider Julien Leparoux has been aboard for all of Classic Empire’s starts.
Tapwrit (20-1): Also broke his maiden over a wet surface. My concern with Tapwrit is that his head is not in the game. He’s worth at look in a superfecta at this price and on Derby Day.
2018 NEW Shimano 18 Cefia BB S 89 M from japanAbu Garcia HNT STINGER PLUS HSPS-664L MGS bass fishing spinning rod New F SGormley (15-1): Also has a win on a wet surface in California, but a wet surface in Southern California is very different than a wet surface in Kentucky. The only advantage for Gormley is his veteran jockey, Victor Espinoza. Gormley races well in California but the ship to Kentucky is a mystery.
Battle of Midway (30-1): Another California shipper who broke his maiden on a wet Santa Anita surface. Finished second behind Gormley in the Santa Anita Derby, has always been in the money in all of his four races. In a very scattered Derby, this horse deserves a look, especially at this price.
The Real Deals:
Classic Empire has been on my radar (and everyone else’s) Shimano - Curado 200XG - Baitcast Reelsince he won the Breeders’ Cup Juvenile. He’s kind of a sassy horse. He’s been known to train when he feels like it, but certainly shows up for the race. With his veteran jockey, consistent money finishes on his resume, and can run on a wet surface, Classic Empire lands on the top of my list. Besides all that, he’s American Pharaoh’s little brother. So the pedigree is perfect.
Brand New ESP Oynx Compact Big Pit Reel (ETREOCB01)Berkley Pulse XCD 902 MH 9ft 20-50g Spinning Rod
McCracken (5-1): McCracken finished third in his last race behind Practical Joke and Irap in the Bluegrass, but again, he didn’t need to win because he was already in with his win in the Sam F. Davis Stakes. Until the Bluegrass, McCracken was undefeated, and veteran jockey Brian Hernandez, Jr. has been with him from the first race.Major Craft TRIPLE-CROSS KURODAI MODEL TCX-T762L Spinning Rod from Japan
Filling out the Superfecta:
Always Dreaming (5-1): Three wins in a row for Always Dreaming since veteran jock Johnny Velazquez took over, but only one graded stakes win, the Florida Derby, which he needed to get to Churchill Downs. A veteran rider, but little graded stakes experience and no races on a wet track. However, he’s been training well at Churchill and has put in some impressive bullet works since he arrived.
Hardy Marquis Salmon Reel No 2 + Air Cel Floating lineSHIMANO Fishing Japanese Nasci2500 Hgs Spinning ReelProLogic Max5 HP Polar Zone Boot Size8 (43)
Thunder Snow (20-1):AVID Carp Brand New 2019 Thermafast 5 Sleeping Bag Standard A0450003 This is the European entry. Entering the gates as a multiple graded stakes winner in Europe with extremely impressing speed figures, but has no American racing experience and has ran most of his races at sprint distances. The check mark on this horse goes to the connections and that the fields in Europe are bigger than they are here. The UAE Derby, which Thunder Snow won, had 15 entries. He will not be shy of the 20 in the gate.
State of Honor (30-1): I wanted to make this horse my superfecta filler, but he has one knock: His jockey, Jose Lezcano. Julien Leparoux has been on State of Honor for his last four races, which were stakes races, and in which State of Honor finished on the board all four times. But, Leparoux is also the jockey for Classic Empire. (What a choice?) This Mark Casse trainee gets a definite look and will be taking superfecta money come post time.
Practical Joke (20-1) was doing fine until he got into races with the other Derby contenders then he couldn’t seem to get around Gunnevera, Classic Empire or Irap. He has no wet surface races, doesn’t like the distance or the crowds.
- Storm Women's Mix Performance Polo Bowling Shirt Dri-Fit Royal bluee White
- Roxy Womens Snowboard - Smoothie - Reverse Camber, Magna-Traction - 2019
- Cebe Junior Suspense Deluxe Ski Snowboard Helmet White Size XS
- Shimano Clarus Center Pin Rod CSS113ML4D 11'3 Medium Light 4pc
- UJ T052A T-BAR handle knob direct fit Avet SXJ SX MXL LX JX G2 MC Raptor reel SV
- Power Braid 100M-2000M Red 6LB-300LB Dyneema Braided Fishing Line Spider PE
- Thgoldwgood Griffin 16 Sythentic Saddle - pony - ideal starter saddle
- Horseware Pull Ups Waterproof Over Trousers
- Equestrian Arena Rubber .00 Bale
- RO1 66 Mares Erogatore Abyss 22x DIN300 BCD OMS IQ Lite PF Mono 27 lb pink
- Gill Tarp Barrel Bag - Jet
- Le CHameau Arran GTX Brown-12UK Stalking Boot hiking,outdoors,waterproof
- Adidas Leistung 16 II Men's Pro Weightlifting shoes White Gym Trainers CQ1771
- Daiwa jigging rod bait blast bay jigging 64B-3 fishing rod From Japan
- Seine net Drag 50 ft x 6.6 ft fishing bait Net Sand eel prawn Free Postage 4 UK
- New Okuma EVX B Series 6ft8in Rd Topwater Jerkbait Medium Action
- Lew's® Mach Speed Spin Spinning Reel MS400
- 17 Wide Frank Baines English Leather Saddle GP
- Weaver Alpaca Fiber Roper Cinch Made in USA Amish Made Water Repellent
- Armarkat Pet Steps, 3-steps, B3001, Ivory
- Le mieux Saddle Pad And Bandages S M