The 143rd Kentucky Derby is May 6th at Churchill Downs in Kentucky and a 70% chance of rain is in the forecast. Finding a good mudder in this group of 20 is nearly impossible. We thank Mike Battaglia, the odds maker at Churchill Downs, for giving us a morning line favorite at 4-1, Classic Empire, but come race day his odds will plummet from that enticing 4-1.
Mudders with potential:
Head Nexo Lyt 130 Ski BootsClassic Empire (4-1): Broke his maiden on a wet surface at Churchill Downs in 2016. Veteran rider Julien Leparoux has been aboard for all of Classic Empire’s starts.
Tapwrit (20-1): Also broke his maiden over a wet surface. My concern with Tapwrit is that his head is not in the game. He’s worth at look in a superfecta at this price and on Derby Day.
Rossignol Frenemy Women's Snowboard 2019Nordica Navigator 90 Flat Testski 179 cm Freeride inkl. Bindung Marker Ski X19Gormley (15-1): Also has a win on a wet surface in California, but a wet surface in Southern California is very different than a wet surface in Kentucky. The only advantage for Gormley is his veteran jockey, Victor Espinoza. Gormley races well in California but the ship to Kentucky is a mystery.
Battle of Midway (30-1): Another California shipper who broke his maiden on a wet Santa Anita surface. Finished second behind Gormley in the Santa Anita Derby, has always been in the money in all of his four races. In a very scattered Derby, this horse deserves a look, especially at this price.
The Real Deals:
Classic Empire has been on my radar (and everyone else’s) NITRO T1 CAM-OUT 2018 19 Freestyle Snowboard Park Snowboard 1191-830345since he won the Breeders’ Cup Juvenile. He’s kind of a sassy horse. He’s been known to train when he feels like it, but certainly shows up for the race. With his veteran jockey, consistent money finishes on his resume, and can run on a wet surface, Classic Empire lands on the top of my list. Besides all that, he’s American Pharaoh’s little brother. So the pedigree is perfect.
2018 Dalbello Lupo Factory Ski Boots DLFAC7IArbor Wastleand Wood Snowboard 158 - Flow NX2 Hybrid Redwood Bindings
McCracken (5-1): McCracken finished third in his last race behind Practical Joke and Irap in the Bluegrass, but again, he didn’t need to win because he was already in with his win in the Sam F. Davis Stakes. Until the Bluegrass, McCracken was undefeated, and veteran jockey Brian Hernandez, Jr. has been with him from the first race.Nordica Spitfire Dobermann Pro 170cm w integrated bindings Made in Austria 14m
Filling out the Superfecta:
Always Dreaming (5-1): Three wins in a row for Always Dreaming since veteran jock Johnny Velazquez took over, but only one graded stakes win, the Florida Derby, which he needed to get to Churchill Downs. A veteran rider, but little graded stakes experience and no races on a wet track. However, he’s been training well at Churchill and has put in some impressive bullet works since he arrived.
2018 DALBELLO Lupo AX 120 Ski Boot 24.5, 25.5, 26.5, 27.5, 28.5 NEW DLA1207Skiing Race Carve Special SL BLIZZARD FIREBIRD SRC + X CELL DEMO 12 2018 2019DYNAFIT Hoji PX Alpine Touring Boot - 27.5
Thunder Snow (20-1):Salomon The Villian Snowboard 2019 This is the European entry. Entering the gates as a multiple graded stakes winner in Europe with extremely impressing speed figures, but has no American racing experience and has ran most of his races at sprint distances. The check mark on this horse goes to the connections and that the fields in Europe are bigger than they are here. The UAE Derby, which Thunder Snow won, had 15 entries. He will not be shy of the 20 in the gate.
State of Honor (30-1): I wanted to make this horse my superfecta filler, but he has one knock: His jockey, Jose Lezcano. Julien Leparoux has been on State of Honor for his last four races, which were stakes races, and in which State of Honor finished on the board all four times. But, Leparoux is also the jockey for Classic Empire. (What a choice?) This Mark Casse trainee gets a definite look and will be taking superfecta money come post time.
Practical Joke (20-1) was doing fine until he got into races with the other Derby contenders then he couldn’t seem to get around Gunnevera, Classic Empire or Irap. He has no wet surface races, doesn’t like the distance or the crowds.
- = 6Ebonite SUIPER SOLAR URETHANE orange Bowling Ball
- HEAD Premium Ski Race Carver Saison 2018 19 (101673)
- Level Handschuh I-Super Radiator Gore-Tex brown winddicht wasserdicht
- Ski Helmet Snowboard Helmet Ski Helmet Sledhelmet Carbon Style S-XXL
- 500W 36V DC electric brush ZY1020 motor f escooter ebike ekart DIY project
- New Thomas Taylor Bowls Grand Tourer Travel Wheel Trolley Bag Unisex rrp
- Kinder Reithose Vollbesatz FUN CLASSIC ELT white grey 140
- New Balance Womens Fresh Foam Cruz V2 Knit Running shoes 8 (41.5 EU)
- Used Abu Garcia Revo LTX BF8 right 8.0 1 mono8lb-50m casting reel from Japan 825
- Daiwa 18 FREAMS LT-3000D-C Spinning Reel NEW
- MULERM70 Colmic mulinello Hermes 7000 pesca greenical bolentino surf 9bb FEUG
- Columbia - Men’s PFG Bahama™ II, Short Sleeve Shirt, Size S, M, L, XL, 2XL, 3XL
- Antique Replacement Horse shoes SANDAL In Leather Traveling Pouch .by KINGS .
- Neue Pferde Tragen X-country Boot Airoflow Hintermittel X Paar - New Horse
- BARGAIN Inhand Show Bridle Hav Quality Vegetable Tanned Leather COB rrp
- Easi Trug - 15 litres for horse feed or water Various colours