The 143rd Kentucky Derby is May 6th at Churchill Downs in Kentucky and a 70% chance of rain is in the forecast. Finding a good mudder in this group of 20 is nearly impossible. We thank Mike Battaglia, the odds maker at Churchill Downs, for giving us a morning line favorite at 4-1, Classic Empire, but come race day his odds will plummet from that enticing 4-1.
Mudders with potential:
Brownie's Kayak 100 ft Diving Hose Kit w Regulator, No TankClassic Empire (4-1): Broke his maiden on a wet surface at Churchill Downs in 2016. Veteran rider Julien Leparoux has been aboard for all of Classic Empire’s starts.
Tapwrit (20-1): Also broke his maiden over a wet surface. My concern with Tapwrit is that his head is not in the game. He’s worth at look in a superfecta at this price and on Derby Day.
Mares regulator PRESTIGE 15x YOKE COMPUTER QUAD AIR + BCD OMS PINK ALSO LITTLELO3 68 Mares KIT regulator Abyss 52x DIN300 BCD OMS IQ Lite PF Mono 27 lb PINKGormley (15-1): Also has a win on a wet surface in California, but a wet surface in Southern California is very different than a wet surface in Kentucky. The only advantage for Gormley is his veteran jockey, Victor Espinoza. Gormley races well in California but the ship to Kentucky is a mystery.
Battle of Midway (30-1): Another California shipper who broke his maiden on a wet Santa Anita surface. Finished second behind Gormley in the Santa Anita Derby, has always been in the money in all of his four races. In a very scattered Derby, this horse deserves a look, especially at this price.
The Real Deals:
Classic Empire has been on my radar (and everyone else’s) LO3 70 KIT regulator Apeks ATX40 + BCD SEAC EGO CORDURA1000 SIZE STANDARDsince he won the Breeders’ Cup Juvenile. He’s kind of a sassy horse. He’s been known to train when he feels like it, but certainly shows up for the race. With his veteran jockey, consistent money finishes on his resume, and can run on a wet surface, Classic Empire lands on the top of my list. Besides all that, he’s American Pharaoh’s little brother. So the pedigree is perfect.
Sterlino Sport TYR MEN'S HURRICANE WETSUIT CAT2 TG.XL Triathlon Muta men IromanSportsstuff Super Betty 3 Riders Trainabile blue Arancio
McCracken (5-1): McCracken finished third in his last race behind Practical Joke and Irap in the Bluegrass, but again, he didn’t need to win because he was already in with his win in the Sam F. Davis Stakes. Until the Bluegrass, McCracken was undefeated, and veteran jockey Brian Hernandez, Jr. has been with him from the first race.RO1 24 Mares KIT Erogatore Abyss 52x YOKE + octopus MV + mission 1
Filling out the Superfecta:
Always Dreaming (5-1): Three wins in a row for Always Dreaming since veteran jock Johnny Velazquez took over, but only one graded stakes win, the Florida Derby, which he needed to get to Churchill Downs. A veteran rider, but little graded stakes experience and no races on a wet track. However, he’s been training well at Churchill and has put in some impressive bullet works since he arrived.
RO1 Aqualung ICELAND confort men Muta semistagna CAPPUCCIO COMPRESO SZ XLargeAPEX LEGENDS HOODIE PERSONALISED WITH GAMER TAG 50383TAURUS CLOTHING GAME OF THRONES HOODIE 50061
Thunder Snow (20-1):LO3 24 KIT Mares Regulator CARBON 52x YOKE + OCTOPUS MV + MISSION 1 This is the European entry. Entering the gates as a multiple graded stakes winner in Europe with extremely impressing speed figures, but has no American racing experience and has ran most of his races at sprint distances. The check mark on this horse goes to the connections and that the fields in Europe are bigger than they are here. The UAE Derby, which Thunder Snow won, had 15 entries. He will not be shy of the 20 in the gate.
State of Honor (30-1): I wanted to make this horse my superfecta filler, but he has one knock: His jockey, Jose Lezcano. Julien Leparoux has been on State of Honor for his last four races, which were stakes races, and in which State of Honor finished on the board all four times. But, Leparoux is also the jockey for Classic Empire. (What a choice?) This Mark Casse trainee gets a definite look and will be taking superfecta money come post time.
Practical Joke (20-1) was doing fine until he got into races with the other Derby contenders then he couldn’t seem to get around Gunnevera, Classic Empire or Irap. He has no wet surface races, doesn’t like the distance or the crowds.
- DHS Table Tennis Net & Post Set, CLASSIC, WTTC International Tournament P104
- SCI women ELAN AC5BVA16 SNOW + EL 7.5 WHITE
- New Marc Jacobs Ladies Plum Havana Sunglasses Purple Lens 58mm MJ318 S IN8FM 58L
- 3 off Genuine Wheatley aluminium Fly boxes, with Trout flies lures
- Momoi Diamond Monofilament Line-1000 Yards- Brilliant bluee - Free Fast Ship
- Sabre Sleeping Bag Carp Set Up Fishing Sleeping Bag trakker
- Showman Hand Painted Tribal Headstall and Breast Collar with Reins FREE SHIP
- Trina Turk Recreation Women's Washy Jersey Side Ti - Choose SZ color
- Atak Equus Compression Shirt - black - Mittel
- DC Heathrow Navy Khaki shoes
- Teak Table - Star Balcony Two Sizes Available - Motorhome Caravan FOLDING
- Shooterking Cordura Jagdhose Hose 2-farbig NEU K1329
- Ronhill Men's Advance ½ Zip Crew Top
- Megabass Valkyrie VKC-71MH Freshwater Bass Rod From Stylish Anglers Japan
- PROLOGIC COMMANDER CLASSIC BEDCHAIR 6 LEGS CARP FISHING RRP .95 NEW
- Abu Garcia Céramique Super Réglage Roulement Revo Tgold 2 Beast 50,51,60,61
- 48 ACCROCHES FILS MOULINET MITCHELL SERIES 498 CARRETE MULINELLO REEL PART 85713
- Britannia 18 , Wide, English made saddle, for tall rider. Havana.
- Dublin Supa Shape Performance Clarino Knee Breeches - Beige - Size 10 28
- Lilly Pulitzer Women's Tabbie Tank - Choose SZ color
- FSS SOFT Flexible NAPPA WRAPPED External Hand Stops Notch Curb Reins 1 2 13mm