The 143rd Kentucky Derby is May 6th at Churchill Downs in Kentucky and a 70% chance of rain is in the forecast. Finding a good mudder in this group of 20 is nearly impossible. We thank Mike Battaglia, the odds maker at Churchill Downs, for giving us a morning line favorite at 4-1, Classic Empire, but come race day his odds will plummet from that enticing 4-1.
Mudders with potential:
Garmin Quatix 5 Sapphire Multisport Marine Smartwatch w HR Monitor 010-01688-41Classic Empire (4-1): Broke his maiden on a wet surface at Churchill Downs in 2016. Veteran rider Julien Leparoux has been aboard for all of Classic Empire’s starts.
Tapwrit (20-1): Also broke his maiden over a wet surface. My concern with Tapwrit is that his head is not in the game. He’s worth at look in a superfecta at this price and on Derby Day.
'IPIERRE Hydro 0166 0Â â “Â Canna Sink Universal Brass A S, ChromeWirquin Casual Line 20719569 Woody Lux Soft Close Toilet SeatGormley (15-1): Also has a win on a wet surface in California, but a wet surface in Southern California is very different than a wet surface in Kentucky. The only advantage for Gormley is his veteran jockey, Victor Espinoza. Gormley races well in California but the ship to Kentucky is a mystery.
Battle of Midway (30-1): Another California shipper who broke his maiden on a wet Santa Anita surface. Finished second behind Gormley in the Santa Anita Derby, has always been in the money in all of his four races. In a very scattered Derby, this horse deserves a look, especially at this price.
The Real Deals:
Classic Empire has been on my radar (and everyone else’s) Salter Curve - blueetooth Smart Analyser Bathroom Scales, Connect Smartphone + Msince he won the Breeders’ Cup Juvenile. He’s kind of a sassy horse. He’s been known to train when he feels like it, but certainly shows up for the race. With his veteran jockey, consistent money finishes on his resume, and can run on a wet surface, Classic Empire lands on the top of my list. Besides all that, he’s American Pharaoh’s little brother. So the pedigree is perfect.
Suunto Traverse GPS Outdoor Watch with Navigation for Hiking and TrekkingGarmin Forerunner 935 black GPS Pulsmessung am Handgelenk dt. Händler
McCracken (5-1): McCracken finished third in his last race behind Practical Joke and Irap in the Bluegrass, but again, he didn’t need to win because he was already in with his win in the Sam F. Davis Stakes. Until the Bluegrass, McCracken was undefeated, and veteran jockey Brian Hernandez, Jr. has been with him from the first race.2xC.K G7915 62 Threaded Female Tap Connector, gold, 5 8-Inch
Filling out the Superfecta:
Always Dreaming (5-1): Three wins in a row for Always Dreaming since veteran jock Johnny Velazquez took over, but only one graded stakes win, the Florida Derby, which he needed to get to Churchill Downs. A veteran rider, but little graded stakes experience and no races on a wet track. However, he’s been training well at Churchill and has put in some impressive bullet works since he arrived.
Garmin Forerunner 645 Music Montre GPS HRM Cardio Sports Running red CerisePolar Vantage V Pro Multisport GPS Watch Wearable4U Wall Bundle, 90069667goldLOGIO GARMIN FORERUNNER 735XT Cardio al Polso GPS Multisport smartwatch
Thunder Snow (20-1):CLASSIC Metal Scroll Single Garden Gates GAP SIZE 2ft9 to 3ft3 Wrought Iron - This is the European entry. Entering the gates as a multiple graded stakes winner in Europe with extremely impressing speed figures, but has no American racing experience and has ran most of his races at sprint distances. The check mark on this horse goes to the connections and that the fields in Europe are bigger than they are here. The UAE Derby, which Thunder Snow won, had 15 entries. He will not be shy of the 20 in the gate.
State of Honor (30-1): I wanted to make this horse my superfecta filler, but he has one knock: His jockey, Jose Lezcano. Julien Leparoux has been on State of Honor for his last four races, which were stakes races, and in which State of Honor finished on the board all four times. But, Leparoux is also the jockey for Classic Empire. (What a choice?) This Mark Casse trainee gets a definite look and will be taking superfecta money come post time.
Practical Joke (20-1) was doing fine until he got into races with the other Derby contenders then he couldn’t seem to get around Gunnevera, Classic Empire or Irap. He has no wet surface races, doesn’t like the distance or the crowds.
- 2018 Ronix Parks Wakeboard Bindings
- Kids Swim Goggles - CASE OF 48
- Ladies Burton Freestyle Snowboard Boots
- Wetfly Element SE Fly Rod - 4-Piece One color 4 Weight, 8ft 6in
- Drennan Red Range Carp Pole - Top 2
- Buffalo Wade Style SQHB Basketweave Tooled 16 SADDLE Rawhide Cantle & Horn
- Handmade DON HANSEN Stainless Steel SPIRAL Twisted Western Horse Snaffle Bit
- Sprenger KK Ultra Loose Ring Aurigan Snaffle size 4 3 4 12.5cm 18mm
- Soft Stretchy Jodphurs Equestrian Horse Riding Breeches - Choice of Size
- Regulator Apeks MTX-R OMS BCD PINK LITTLE + COMPUTER AQUALUNG I750 OLED + PROBE
- LASER DINGHYSPARES - Mast base fitting for leading control lines aft - FREE POST
- Tactical Emerson New BDU G3 Combat Pants Trousers Assault Uniform + Knee Pads MC
- Pro Touch Men's Presentation Suit Finley + Flo with Hood
- Shimano 18 EXSENCE S1006M RF Spinning Rod NEW
- ANYFISH ANYWHERE LURE&BAIT ROD 10 FT ( 3. M )
- Shimano Rod Lurematic Spinning S76UL Japan import
- Gan Craft Jointed Claw 178 15 SS Big Jointed Swim Bait
- U-O-15 15 HILASON TREELESS WESTERN LEATHER TRAIL BARREL RACING SADDLE
- Hotline Shrike compact electric fence energiser 3v D cell battery operated 800m
- Clipperman German Steel Blades Medium - Cla2 Set 3mm
- New mark todd running attachment